As a way of deepening this school's pedagogical output and research level in the sphere of humanities and social sciences, as well as promoting interdisciplinary integration, innovation, exchange, and co-operation; in the 2014 academic year, this school has established a Teaching and Research Center of Humanities and Social Sciences. Its main goals are:
1) To help to plan out, examine, and implement a general academic course on humanities and social sciences for use across the school.
2) To establish an interdisciplinary humanities and social sciences research platform, where individual or integrated research and teaching is promoted.
3) To promote academic exchange and co-operation both domestically and internationally.
4) To handle other teaching and research matters related to the humanities and social sciences.
Current integrated programs in the process of being implemented are:
1. The Digital Humanities Research on the Maritime Management and Narratives in Ming Dynasty (August 2014–July 2015, Integrated Research Program)
This program has received subsidies from the Ministry for Science and Technology's “Digital Humanities Research Program”, and it is intended that digital humanities research will be used as the tool for engaging in discussion about the operations, governance, time and historical setting of the oceans during the Ming dynasty. Led by program Principal Investigator (PI) of the Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Huang Li-sheng, four separate programs are encapsulated within the general exhibit:
1) The Digital Humanities Research on the Maritime Management and Narratives in Ming Dynasty: Islands and Navigation (PI: Professor Huang Li-sheng of the Institute of Ocean Culture) 2) The Digital Humanities Research on the Maritime Management and Narratives in Ming Dynasty: The Scriptures and Statecraft (PI: Professor Wu Chih-Hsiung of the General Education Center)
3) The Digital Humanities Research on the Maritime Management and Narratives in Ming Dynasty: Poems of Naval Battle (PI: Professor Yan Jy-Ing of the General Education Center)
4) The Digital Humanities Research on the Maritime Management and Narratives in Ming Dynasty. Thought behind the Control of Japanese Pirates (PI: Assistant research Fellow Yang Cheng-hsien of the Teaching and Research Center of Humanities and Social Sciences)
2. Integrated Program on Oceanic Culture and Tourism (September 2013 – December 2016, Integrated Education Program)
This Ministry of Education subsidized program on Taiwan's oceans has the Dean of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Huang Li-sheng as its convener, and also makes use of associate Professor Duu-Hwa Lee from the Institute of Applied Economics, the Director of Institute of Ocean Culture Pien Feng-kwei, associate Professor An Chia-fang, and Assistant Professor Lin Ku-jung; along with Associate Professor of the institute of Education Sheu Terng-Ji. The joint participation of these five scholars emphasizes the importance of co-operation in teaching, of inviting industry leaders, and undertaking work experience. Furthermore, the establishment of a teaching community platform which offers 9 levels of classes ranging from masters to undergrad has already seen good results since inception in 2013.
3. Putting Into Practice Oceanic Humanities, Social Sciences, and Innovation: A Template to the Teaching and Research of Ocean Humanities and Social Sciences (January 2016 – January 2017, Integrated Education Program)
With subsidies received from the “2016 Ministry of Education Humanities and Social Science Subsidy Program”, it is hoped that by putting into practice and remolding social science and humanities education around the principles of innate character and worth, knowledge and application, and primacy of the sea, a seed of ocean consciousness may be sown deeply, helping to bring forth new innovation in society, and promoting teaching and research efficiency. This program's PI is President Zhang Ching-fong, and supported by the Dean Huang Li-sheng. It encapsulates the following programs:
1. Overall Program: Ocean Humanities and Social Sciences. Presented by Co-PI the Dean Huang Li-sheng.
2. Ocean General Knowledge. Presented by Professor Wu ChihHsiung of the General Education Center.
3. Ocean English. Presented by Co-PI the Director of the Institute of Applied English Hsiao Tsung-yuan.
4. Ocean Education. Presented by Co-PI the Director of the Institute of Education Wang Chia-ling.
5. Ocean Cultural. Presented by Co-PI the Director of Institute of Ocean Culture Pien Feng-kwei.
6. Ocean Cultural Creativity: Presented by Co-PI the Chairman of Bachelor Program of Ocean Cultural Creative Design Industries Yan Jy-Ing.
7. Ocean Economy: Presented by Co-PI the Director of the Institute of Applied Economics Jan Man-ser.
Address: No.2, Beining Rd., Jhongjheng District, Keelung, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
TEL: +886-2-2462-2192 Ext. 2001、2000